Re: More fun with Title 17 USC

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 03:02:58AM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>  (Sec. 101):
> 	''joint work'' is a work prepared by two or more authors
> 	with the intention that their contributions be merged
> 	into inseparable or interdependent parts of a unitary whole.
[...]
> So, I wonder, how many open-source works qualify as joint works?

Probably not many.  After all, a lot of people write Free Software with
the notion that their contributions will merged into many different
distinct and separable works.  That's the sort of thing that the
copyleft concept is designed to promote.

Highly-specific, obfuscated, or unportable code with multiple authors
may have more of a claim to joint work status, though.  I'm thinking of
anything written in Perl.  >;-)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    The basic test of freedom is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    perhaps less in what we are free to