Re: ISO 3166 copyright

The purpose of the package was to provide an accurate, LGPL'd version of
the ISO 3166, 639 and 4217 standards., along with translations into the
various languages supported by Debian.

I was not aware of the copyright notice that you gave a pointer to; I
shall have to think about that, and get an opinion on debian-legal.

While the ISO 639 list came from elsewhere
To the best of my knowledge, representing such a list in a different
electronic form does not represent a breach of copyright, and the list
in the iso-codes package, collected from various places on the web with
corrections by others, is not a breach of copyright; however I will get
a legal opinion on this matter.

If the _short_ country names are protected, one possibility is to only
use the long forms in the iso-3166.tab file, with the translations
translating the long form into short form for each .po file, including
an English .po file.

(Note: this information is used in other places within Debian, so the
issue goes beyond this package).

Regards,
Alastair McKinstry