Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

Mark Rafn <dagon@dagon.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 2003, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > I don't agree.  Just take out the offending part.
>
> The GFDL does not allow us to take out the offending part - it contains
> sections which are not allowed to be removed.

Sorry, I meant take out the GFDL docs (which are offending the GPL part).

> If Emacs + it's documentation is considered to be a single entity which is
> a derived work of both a GPL product and a GFDL product, it is
> undistributable even in non-free.

True.

> I personally consider them seperate works which we aggregate and
> distribute together, but the FSF takes a pretty wide interpretation of
> "linking", so I could be in the minority.

I thought of them as separate works (much as an application and a
library) that are linked together at run-time (Emacs internal info about
where the nodes are from the Info files, and then has the knowledge to
fetch bits).  But that's only my interpretation.

> > Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr> wrote:
> > >   That's insane.
>
> We may disagree with RMS on this, but it's not helpful to call him insane ;)

Funny.

Peter