Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr> wrote:

> > Documentation relating to software needs to be really free, in order
> > that we can manipulate it in far more interesting ways (such as
> > refcarding it, embedding it as online help, or updating it because
> > of advances in the program it documents).  This is a transformation
> > much more intrusive than merely reformatting it or similar actions
> > which you would
>
> GFDL permits this I think. But you have to keep the invariant section.

Then it doesn't permit it, does it?
You still haven't addressed this point.

> > >   "The whole thing"? Emacs itself?
> >
> > Yup.

I don't agree.  Just take out the offending part.

>   That's insane.
>
> > This emacs thing actually amuses me somewhat.  The FSF appears to
> > take as broad a line as possible in defining linking and other
> > 'combined work' things (so as to get as much GPL'd software as
> > possible, of course).  But if that work was really successful,
> > they'd probably end up having embedded documentation (which emacs
> > may or may not contain).  At any rate, the GPL says "thou shalt not
> > distribute a Program with both GPL and other stuff", and then goes
> > and does that very same thing themselves...
>
>   AFAIK, Emacs is not linked to its documentation.

I've addressed this and you never commented.

> > >   Did people suddenly decide to love writing docs?
> >
> > I think it's more that some people get very motivated where ideology
> > is concerned...
>
>   Writing docs is something people don't like. Let's be realistic.

I've addressed this as well.  It's not relevant and I wished you'd stop
using it as an argument.

Peter