Re: PHP-Nuke License Conclusion?

Scripsit Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>

> If you don't share my position, that's fine, but you haven't yet
> articulated why.

I have. Multiple times. Someone using your name and imitating your
style of writing rather convincingly have replied to several of those
postings.

Digging in the archives turns up that it has not always been you who
made the false claim that GPL+more restrictions is necessarily
internally inconsistent. I apologize for implying that.

I point you to
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/1999/debian-legal-199912/msg00231.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/debian-legal-200210/msg00093.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200303/msg00025.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200303/msg00007.html

and (not by me but arguing the same point)

 http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200303/msg00000.html

> Please address the arguments in
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200304/msg00294.html>

Your core argument in that message is

| However, in practice, most people don't do what the FSF recommends in
| their FAQ.  They just say "it's under the GPL" and slap extra
| restrictions somewhere else -- perhaps in a README file.

I am completely unconvinced by your tacit leap from "most people do
this wrong" to "it is impossible to do it right, and Debian always
interprets even cases where it is done right as non-distributable".

--
Henning Makholm                                 "Slip den panserraket og læg
                                          dig på jorden med ansigtet nedad!"