Re: PHPNuke license

Scripsit Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>

> > Agreed. In particular, in such a hybrid licence, the word "this
> > License" in the GPL text would naturally be taken to refer to the
> > entire hybrid rather than just to the GPL.

> I don't think the FSF intends the GNU GPL license text to be interpreted
> that way.  (I could be wrong, though...)

What the FSF intends is not relevant. What is relevant is what the
*licensor* intends. If he uses pure GPL there is evidence that he
intends the same as the FSF does, at which point the FSFs intentions.
However, if he simply uses the FSF's immortal words as ingredients of
a cut-and-paste license of his own, the FSF's intentions are not
relevant anymore. The fact that the cut-and-paste license is
distributed as a cut-and-paste-it-yourself kit rather than a
pre-pasted combination does not change this.

> > I concur. (Bad things do happen if the licensor thinks that such a
> > license is compatible with pure GPL in either directions, though).

> One problem is that they usually do.

Then you should address that problem instead of pretending that the
cut-and-paste license is internally inconsistent and/or legally void
and/or impossible.

--
Henning Makholm                                           "Check the sprog."