Re: PHP-Nuke License Conclusion?

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 04:53:03PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
>
> > This point should probably be clarified.  The reason PHP-Nuke was
> > regarded as non-DFSG-free was because the author's additional
> > restriction created, in our opinion, a license that was impossible to
> > satisfy.
>
> I thought that the reason was that the combined license is simply not
> free, even if one interprets it in a self-consistent way.

That may be, but I think we should be conservative in our rulings.  We
don't have to address the issue of whether the putative license is
DFSG-free if the work in question is de facto not licensed at all.

> > Debian interprets "this License" and "herein" to mean the conditions of
> > the GNU GPL expressed in its text; no more and no less.
>
> s/Debian/Branden Robinson/

I hadn't noticed any objections to my analysis, so I assumed people were
at least moderately comfortable with it.

If that's not the case, please refresh my memory, or present a critique
now.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The software said it required
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Windows 3.1 or better, so I