Re: Dissident versus ASP

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 02:41:49PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

> > > Since there are fifteen things floating around, each of which gets
> > > called "the ASP loophole", it's hard to be certain.
> > Name one that it doesn't apply to?
> Of the ones that I've seen, as far as I can tell, it would apply to
> all the proposed methods of "closing the ASP loophole".

*sigh*

We're not talking about _methods_ of closing the ASP loophole, we're
talking about _instances_ of the ASP loophole. Name one that isn't
instantiated by someone making the program accessible to people for
purposes, but not distributing it to them.

Or else stop fudging around the topic.

The claim is that:

	Dissident test + Practical objections == Can't close the ASP loophole

and, furthermore that that equality goes both ways. That is that
the Dissident test is just another way of saying that the only ways
you're allowed to close the ASP loophole are ones which are practically
unreasonable.

The point of the syllogism is to make it clear that that claim isn't
just an opinion, nor an exaggeration, but a reasonable and accurate
restatement in all circumstances.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''