Re: PHPNuke license

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 05:38:55PM -0500, David Turner wrote:
> I think this is fundamentally unsound, given Texaco. I gave an actual
> Fair Use analysis in another message.

Pardon my language, but fuck Texaco.  If your reading of the holdings of
the case are correct, I see no reason why this court decision deserves
any more of our moral support than the DMCA, CBDTPA, or the "Trusted
Computing" initiative.

Copyright cases that erode fair use should in general indicate to the
FSF, and other propoponents of Free Software, areas where we need to be
sure our licenses are *granting* sufficient permissions for people to
enjoy their freedoms -- they should not be treated as great
opportunities to turn the screws on the users, and your repeated
citation of the Texaco case sounds exactly like that.

Does the FSF endorse the erosion of Fair Use rights in the U.S.?  If so,
why?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |         De minimis non curat lex.