Re: PHPNuke license

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 18:32, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> David Turner <novalis@novalis.org> writes:
>
> > 5. There's an exception.
> >
> > 6. The exception doesn't apply, because the Program itself (the GPL'd
> > library) isn't itself interactive.
> >
> > 7. Just about every user of GNU readline is violating the GPL.
>
> The GPL'd library (readline) *is* interactive, so the exception *does*
> apply.
>
> You can't say that Readline-as-distributed is *and* that it isn't.
> Pick one.  Either way, a program linking against it need not, on that
> account, print out a no-warranty notice.

Er, readline is a bad example, of course.  Pretend we're talking about
some other GPL'd library, like libiberty.

So, libiberty-as-you-got-it, the Program, isn't interactive.  So, the
exception doesn't apply.  You end up with an interactive program (the
modified program).  So, (2)(c) as a whole applies.  Notice that (2)(c)
is talking about two separate programs.

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters
of principle, stand like a rock." -Thomas Jefferson