Re: PHPNuke license

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:17:22PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The notice requirement is part of the license.  The only way to give
> others the freedom to NOT add such a notice when making a
> non-interactive -> interactive transition with your code is through a
> license exemption (any statement that has the power to override this
> part of the license is essentially also part of the license).

I'm not convinced of this.  If I take a library and turn it into an
application, it's now an application that doesn't normally print that
announcement.  It feels like a race condition--the whole turning into
an application business happened at the same time as turning into one
that doesn't print the announcement, and you seem to be reading the
notification requirement as kicking in between the two events, such that
the exception can't be used.

If your interpretation is correct, then it would seem to also apply to
using GPL libraries; using GNU Readline in an application is the same
(to the GPL) as turning it into an application (or copying and pasting
its code into an application), so every app that uses Readline would
need to have this notification.  (There are lots of programs that don't.)

(Er.  Read "application" here as "interactive application".)

--
Glenn Maynard