Re: PHPNuke license

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 04:16:13PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:45:55PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I would recommend that users of the GPL who find this requirement ugly
> > begin adding an additional exemption to 2(c) to their own works.
> > Branden, if I'm not mistaken, this would constitute an additional
> > permission and is therefore acceptable in your book?

> I'm not sure this would help.  In order to remain GPL-compatible (as I
> understand it), the exemption must be severable, and if it's severable,
> people can still add the notice and make it sticky.

> It would be a statement that the original author doesn't *want* such a
> notice (and it would be rude to add it against his wishes), but such a
> notice can be made without touching the license.

The notice requirement is part of the license.  The only way to give
others the freedom to NOT add such a notice when making a
non-interactive -> interactive transition with your code is through a
license exemption (any statement that has the power to override this
part of the license is essentially also part of the license).

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer