Re: PHPNuke license

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:55:07AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 04:41:50PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > About boxes are fine, but I am not sure it is wise to permit a Free
> > Software license to forbid people from removing them.  It makes perfect
> > sense to remove an About box if, for instance, one is converting an
> > application into a library.
>
> I agree.  (2)(c) should only apply when an application is run interactively.
> If you make an application into a library, it'd never be run interactively,
> so its relevance should disappear.  I know I haven't worded this quite
> right, but you get the idea.

	Here's an interesting GPL puzzle.  Say you completely remove
the interactive functionality of a program that uses (2)(c).  This means
that you can remove that entire chunk of code anyway.  Someone uses your
code and prepares a derivative work that is interactive.  Is this new
author required to put in an appropriate notice?

	He knows that one used to exist because you have clearly marked
your changes in the appropriate source files.

Simon