Re: PHPNuke license

Glenn Maynard <g_deb@zewt.org> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 08:43:52PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
>> This also goes for programs that have never been interactive before
>> (and so never had a notice). If, say, I modified CVS such that it
>> entered an interactive mode when run without arguments, I believe I'd
>> be required to add a 2(c) notice.
>
>> if the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print
>> such an announcement
>
> Er.  You made it interactive; now it's interactive but doesn't normally
> print such an announcement, so the exemption kicks in.  Are we talking
> about a licensing race condition here?

Not at all.  The phrase "the Program" refers to the work licensed to
you under the GPL, not your own modifications to it.  Thus, if you
wish to distribute an interactive program based on code you received
under the GPL which is not itself an interactive banner-free program,
you must include a banner.

If you really oppose 2c, the "easy way" around it for your customers
is to include a minimal interactive banner-free program with your
non-interactive library.

> If that were the case, we'd be forced to put GPL blurbs in anything that
> made use of any GPL libraries at all, eg. Readline.

For example, the libreadline4-dev package contains a variety of
examples, none of which print banners.  Since they come from the same
source package as libreadline4, I think it's reasonable to call the
whole thing a work which runs interactively and does not print a
banner.

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu