Re: PHPNuke license

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 05:51:52PM -0500, Don Armstrong wrote:
> Although, if PHPNuke has javascript (or similar) that is being
> executed on the client side, a case could be made that use of phpnuke
> on a website is equivalent to distributing it. [If someone is aware of
> the FSF or arguments saying otherwise, I'd be glad to hear them.]

After some thought, I submit the following:

One cannot simultaneously argue that displaying a website is presenting a
user interface subject to 2c and that it constitutes distribution of the
program.

If it constitutes distribution, it is fundamentally a different act than
displaying a user interface, and thus 2c does not apply to the mere display
since there is no display going on.

If it is a user interface, that is fundamentally a different act than
distribution, and requirements to distribute in source form, unmodified, do
not apply, since there is no distribution going on at all.

I think it would be a very hard sell to claim that it is doing both
simultaneously.  It's enough of a stretch to claim that it's doing one.

-- John