Re: PHPNuke license

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:47:59PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 04:35:02PM +1300, Nick Phillips wrote:
> > Consideration of the scenario of use of a modified but undistributed version
> > of a program within the modifying organisation would also lead one to
> > conclude that our interpretation of 2 as a whole is desirable, and likely
> > to be the intention of the license's author(s).
>
> Why does anyone care about modified copies that don't get distributed?
> Has it occurred to anyone how difficult it would be to enforce such a
> restriction?  How is the copyright holder to know that such modification
> has even happened?

	Oh...  Let's say you run an ASP service that uses GNU Hello
World to display the appropriate greeting.  Making a modification
without respecting all of 2(a), 2(b), and 2(c) would be in violation of
the GPL as it currently stands.

	Since the copyright holder has the exclusive right to
modification under U.S. copyright law, I see this as a flaw in the
wording of the GPL; not a malicious legal trap set by the FSF.

Simon