Re: PHPNuke license

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:37:10PM -0500, Don Armstrong wrote:

> > It's the "modification" that is covered, and you're not allowed to
> > modify in such a way as to remove a copyright notice that is normally
> > displayed on startup.
>
> You are allowed to modify the code to remove the copyright notice, but
> you are not allowed to distribute code that contains such a
> modification. [2a-c only applies to distribution of modifications.

I'm inclined to disagree with you, and agree with Dave Turner on that one
(which is the point I was making).

I do however agree that the wording of the intro to 2 is not perfect, and
could be interpreted in either way. I agree with Dave, however, that 2b's
explicit mention of distribution and publishing would tend to support our
view.

Consideration of the scenario of use of a modified but undistributed version
of a program within the modifying organisation would also lead one to
conclude that our interpretation of 2 as a whole is desirable, and likely
to be the intention of the license's author(s).

Cheers,

Nick

P.S. Primarily for the benefit of anyone too stupid to have guessed, IANAL.
--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
You can create your own opportunities this week.  Blackmail a senior executive.