Re: [Discussioni] OSD && DFSG convergence

    John> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:02:23AM -0500, Russell Nelson
    John> wrote:
    >> > But what you actually seem to say is: We have these two
    >> documents that > except for a few places are identical; please
    >> make a lot of changes to > yours so that we can have them
    >> "converge".  That doesn't make much > sense to me,
    >>
    >> Would you rather have the current state of affairs, where one
    >> group of free software developers says the RPSL is a free
    >> software license, and another says it's not a free software
    >> license?  I can't imagine anybody would think that's a good
    >> thing.

    John> And yet every proposal you put forth is "Debian must become
    John> more like OSI and the DFSG must become more like OSD."  I
    John> for one am glad that RPSL-licensed software is not in
    John> Debian, and would resist measures that would lead to a
    John> weakening of our Free Software standards.

No, he actually seems to be asking for us to clarify the DFSG.  He'd
probably be happier if we clarified the DFSG to explain what we mean
even if it ended up disagreeing with the OSI on all future licenses
than if it was unclear.

OK, perhaps not going that far, but other than the costs of doing so,
being more clear in and of itself seems like a good idea.