Re: [Discussioni] OSD && DFSG convergence

Steve Langasek writes:
 > What would the benefits to the greater community be if the DFSG were more
 > like the OSD?

Let me rephrase what you said.  I want to be clear that I expect
Debian to change the DFSG, and OSI to change the OSD.  Both documents
can be improved, but they should be improved to be the same thing.

 > What would the benefits to the greater community be if the DFSG and
 > the OSD were more alike?

1) Surely you've seen the Monty Python movie "Life of Brian", where
the People's Front of Judea and the Judean People's Front are
constantly at loggerheads?  While the real power are the Romans, of
course.  I needn't elaborate.

2) Besides that, there are at least four definitions of "free
software": the OSD, the DFSG, the DFSG as interpreted by debian-legal,
and RMS's definition.  Suppose someone wants to join this community of
software developers.  Which community does he join?  By joining one,
does he join all?  Confusion isn't good for us.

3) NOBODY is served well by a split (which I don't think has actually
occurred, but the potential alarms people) wherein the corporate
entities choose the OSD, and software developers choose from the list
of alternatives above.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | You get prosperity when
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | the government does less,