Re: [Discussioni] OSD && DFSG convergence

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 12:22:33AM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
> I'm on the mailing list, there's no need to CC me.
>
> John Goerzen writes:
>  > And yet every proposal you put forth is "Debian must become more like OSI
>  > and the DFSG must become more like OSD."
>
> ... and the OSD must become more like the DFSG, and proposed open
> source licenses should be run past debian-legal.  I'm not proposing
> unilateral action on anybody's part.  I'm prepared to compromise (or
> rather, to recommend compromise to my board of directors).  Are you?

I am NOT prepared to compromise Debian's high Free Software standards.  I am
NOT prepared to accept RPSL-licensed software into Debian.  In this case,
"compromise" seems to me merely a word for "cave-in".

I have no prima facie opposition to clarifying points of the DFSG based on
important case history from debian-legal; however, I would rather see this
as a "DFSG companion" rather than an amendment to the DFSG itself.

>  > I for one am glad that RPSL-licensed software is not in Debian, and
>
> Why?  The sole objections that I can see from debian-legal archives
> refer to text which has been changed in the final OSI-approved license.

My objections referred to the text as posted on your website under the
approved section as of... about two days ago.

-- John