Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes

Different topic, differently reply.

Henning Makholm writes:
 > which mentions stopping *use*. We object to the notion that one needs
 > to to comply with specific terms simply to use the software (as
 > opposed to modifying or distributing it).

A warranty disclaimer applies to users of the software.  Every license
with a warranty disclaimer (and that's all of them, AFAICS) is binding
on the user.  If you don't agree with the warranty disclaimer, you
must stop using the software.  Not only that, but you can't disclaim
warranty without a contract.  So, what meaning does the warranty
disclaimer on the GPL have?  Probably none.  Does this translate into
anything in reality?  Probably not.  It would be quite hard to enforce
a warranty on someone giving away free software.  On the other hand,
wouldn't you really rather someone ELSE establish that precedent?

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | You get prosperity when
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | the government does less,