Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes

Henning Makholm writes:
 > This denies a user the right to make modifications and distribute the
 > modified software (with source code) to his neighbour *without* also
 > distributing it to the public at large.
 >
 > The consensus on debian-legal that this right is a sine qua non for
 > DFSG-freedom is strong and well established.

Where does it say this in the DFSG?

 > which I take to mean that one who accepts the license must effectively
 > give Apple a royalty-free license to use each an every patent he
 > controls.

Where does it say this in the DFSG?

 > which mentions stopping *use*. We object to the notion that one needs
 > to to comply with specific terms simply to use the software (as
 > opposed to modifying or distributing it).

Where does it say this in the DFSG?

My point being that these requirements *should* be in the DFSG, not
that you shouldn't come to that conclusion.

 > I seem to remember that there were also originally a
 > you-must-follow-US-export-laws clause in the license originally
 > certified by OSI, but that must have been removed since.

Yup, that was a major screw-up on our part.  It's since been repaired
by the replacement of it by the license you see now.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | You get prosperity when
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | the government does less,