Re: ldp-es_20002103-7_i386.changes REJECTED

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net>:

> > I have heard of this principle in the context of contract law, but a
> > licence isn't a contract.
>
> And what is it if not a contract?

I don't know. Anyone?

> > Also, I find the idea of a licence being enforced against the licencer
> > somewhat odd. It's not as if the recipient of a free licence would try
> > to sue the licenser.
>
> Why else do you think licenses have disclaimers of warranty?

My point exactly. A typical free software licence does not constrain
the future behaviour of the licenser. It's not a promise. You can't
sue the licenser for breaking the terms because the licenser hasn't
promised anything. So what does it mean for a licence to be enforced
against the the licencer in such a case?

Edmund