Re: Regarding linux-kernel-conf and Qt

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 03:05:19PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Debian has simply refrained from distributing some programs which had
> code covered by the GPL yet linked to Qt at a time where distributing
> such programs would have been illegal.

/me wearily makes his plea for reason and sanity yet again

s/would have been illegal/could have been infringing of the copyright
license on other software distributed by Debian/

Copyright infringement is historically a tort, not a crime.

Different copyright holders of GPL-licensed software feel differently
about whether "dynamic linking" of their code into a GPL-incompatible
work constitutes an infrigment of their copyright.  Because the FSF
holds the copyright on a great many GPL-licensed works, and because they
do feel that such linking constitutes infringment, Debian refrained from
distributing many programs that linked to Qt.

But we did not exhaustively catalog every case.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     It's not a matter of alienating
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     authors.  They have every right to