Re: Regarding linux-kernel-conf and Qt

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 03:05:19PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Debian has simply refrained from distributing some programs which had
> code covered by the GPL yet linked to Qt at a time where distributing
> such programs would have been illegal.

/me wearily makes his plea for reason and sanity yet again

s/would have been illegal/could have been infringing of the copyright
license on other software distributed by Debian/

Copyright infringement is historically a tort, not a crime.

Different copyright holders of GPL-licensed software feel differently
about whether "dynamic linking" of their code into a GPL-incompatible
work constitutes an infrigment of their copyright.  Because the FSF
holds the copyright on a great many GPL-licensed works, and because they
do feel that such linking constitutes infringment, Debian refrained from
distributing many programs that linked to Qt.

But we did not exhaustively catalog every case.

G. Branden Robinson                |     It's not a matter of alienating
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     authors.  They have every right to
branden@debian.org                 |     license their software however we
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |     like.  -- Craig Sanders