Re: cthugha (non-free) license

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 01:31:25PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> So the situation would be something like:
>
> 1. A writes software, contributes it to the public domain and
>    distributes it with a warranty disclaimer.
>
> 2. B downloads software from A's site, strips off the warranty
>    disclaimer and gives the resulting software to C.
>
> 3. C uses software, which is buggy and wreaks havoc in some way.
>
> 4. C sues A.
>
> I know U.S. courts are generally insane about damages suits, but
> would they really be so insane as to let C win over A here?

Er.. possibly. Note that C could sue D as well, with analogous
chances of winning.

[In the U.S. anyone can sue anyone for anything. This has been
abused, of course, and the most typical forms of abuse are now
handled by penalizing the person raising the suit, but that
doesn't change the nature of law suits.]

I don't think C's chances would be any higher than if the
warranty disclaimer had been left in place.

--
Raul