Re: GNU License and Computer Break Ins

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 02:22:34PM -0500, Paul Serice wrote:
> > If I'm required to distribute mods, that means I can't experiment
> > with code, because I don't have time to post every version that I
> > come up with.
>
> This seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I'm a reasonable person.
> Stalman on the other hand

He has been known to support the POV you're arguing against.  See,
for example, http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html, where he says,
among other things:

  You should also have the freedom to make modifications and use them
  privately in your own work or play, without even mentioning that they
  exist. If you do publish your changes, you should not be required to
  notify anyone in particular, or in any particular way

This one of the criteria that the FSF uses to evaluate others' licenses.

The name is Stallman, BTW.

> "I do that.  I do that.  I'll let anybody borrow and copy my records and
> tapes."

Under the Finnish copyright law, that is actually legal, so long as the
copies are made for someone's private use (and not for sale, for example).

                    I'm moving IRL on May 2, 2000.
               New contact information on the home page