Re: New OPL Draft

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 04:51:20PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Do you believe it is inconsistent with the philosophy of the Free Software
>     movement to accept any more restrictions on classes of computer-handled data
>     that are not executable code than we do on executable code?
>
> I think the moral requirements for freedom depend on the kind of data
> or work, and how it is used.
>
> For example, where it concerns documentation, and more generally for
> textbooks, I would insist on the same criteria of freedom that I would
> apply for software.  Likewise for dictionaries.
>
> For scientific papers, I think it is reasonable to say that everyone
> can redistribute them but nobody can modify them.
>
> For novels, I would be willing to accept a more restrictive license.
> The minimum freedom, which should always apply to anything published,
> is the freedom occasionally to make a copy for an acquaintance.

You are very wrong.
Most (read: >90%) of actually made novels are not worth a look if
you respect your time.
They are *always* :
- translated by person who know very little about language he translates to
  ( translator have to know language he translate from only, this can be easily
  fixed by allowing everyone to change a book )
- 10x too long
- paid by page (both author and translator, remember paid by line of code
  programers ?)

It is nothing that make it impossible to make 1 good book instead
of 40 bad books by herd of authors that doesn't know each other
only copyrights.

One example of such work, excelent authorless literature,
are political jokes under *every* opressive government.
This never failed.
If someone says that this is short form, and anything longer
can't be done evolutionary, he will be saying the same what was
beeing said against free software movement a few years ago.
Remember this was what we start from.

Every art is made by evolutionary process.
Either in one brain or in huge environment containing many people and *events*.
And don't forget that novel-writing programs are coming soon.
( gnu novel compiler - this would be cool )