Re: x3270 licenses

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 08:54:29PM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> AFAIK, US fair use includes such things as scientific or journalistic
> citation or commentary, and making copies for one's education.
> For example, republishing a book is not fair use, and use of fonts often
> is republication.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html (the section of U.S.
Copyright law which defines the term fair use) says that when determining
fair use the nature of the copyrighted work should be considered.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html (the section of U.S.
Copyright law which talks about computer programs) makes it clear that
copying a program to run it is legal.  [This doesn't give you permission
to distribute that copy, but who cares?]

However, http://www.faqs.org/faqs/fonts-faq/part2, seems to indicate
that bitmapped fonts aren't even considered computer programs -- scalable
fonts are considered computer programs, but their representation on the
screen is considered output from that program, not the program itself.

Anyways, I don't see anything that says that a person who owns a legal
copy of a font would not be allowed to prepare text which displays
that font.

--
Raul