Re: x3270 licenses

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 04:17:41AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> You have a copy of the program.
> You want to tell me you now need special permission to run it?

Not necessarily.  But my question was how Fair Use comes into play,
not whether use really is restricted or not.  In other words, I was
attacking your argument, not your conclusion.

AFAIK, US fair use includes such things as scientific or journalistic
citation or commentary, and making copies for one's education.
For example, republishing a book is not fair use, and use of fonts often
is republication.

> Analogy:
> You have a book and before you may read it you must get permission.

Reading does not involve making a pysical copy of the book.

> Yeah, I'd say I'm pretty sure running the program is fair use.  If it
> weren't, you would not be allowed to run GPL'd software since you are not
> given permission to do so.

Not true.  The GPL *explicitly* allows all use.  Fair use is not even
near the issue.

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)