Re: (Fwd) Re: [awansink@ke.com.au: Re: Isn't a kde version of abiw

Montreal Sat May 29 10:03:30 1999

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> wrote:
> This is hotly debated, some people say that nothing X-based should be
> considered "part of the operating system", others say that Qt, gtk, and X
> are all part of Linux, and others still say that Qt would have to be at
> least Standard priority to be part of the operating system itself.

So this could be another explanation why distributions like Corel,
Caldera, Mandrake have no problem distributing KDE.  Afterall, Qt does
form a rather integral part in those systems.

>   However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
>   include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or
>   binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of
>   the operating system on which the executable runs, UNLESS THAT
>   COMPONENT ITSELF ACCOMPANIES THE EXECUTABLE.  [Emphasis added]
>
> So if Qt is considered to be part of the system, Qt must not accompany
> KDE.  If both are in main, Qt is accompanying KDE.  Ack!  I do wish that

Well, Qt is not in the same debian package as KDE.  So in a way, Qt
does not "accompany" KDE, KDE just depends on Qt.  I don't know if
that's a fair interpretation of "accompany" but it does seem to be.

Aren't commercial companies distributing GNU tools such as EGCS with
their commercial OSes (proprietary libc)?

-N.
--
"These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format.  After unzipping,
these files can be viewed in any text editor, including all versions of