Re: (Fwd) Re: [awansink@ke.com.au: Re: Isn't a kde version of abiw

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 12:37:37AM -0400, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> <quote>
> Under Linux, why are you using GTK+ instead of Qt?  Politics. Most of
> the truly nerdy open source people prefer GTK+, since Qt is not quite
> free enough for the deepest dogma. We want the enthusiasm of those
> super-geeks right from the beginning, so we are making the choice that
> will make them happy. Truth be told, we would like to support both. If
> you would like to help with a Qt port, please let us know.
> </quote>

Great!  They should add a little exception to their license notice
granting permission to link with Qt.  That'll solve everyone's problems.
If it doesn't solve someone's problem, tough.  It satisfies the legal
requirements and makes all well.

> Please don't be dissuaded by politicians or their harassment.
> Apparently the authors think it's okay, so if you want to do it, just
> go right ahead.  You might want to establish a dialog with the
> AbiSource folks as the above quote from their website suggests.  Who
> knows they might even pay you.

Please don't assume what people claim is political agenda is in fact
political.  Qt is nicely free now, I'm quite proud of the license (I
should be, considering it's my license)  Doesn't mean the GPL likes it.

KDE was pulled for LEGAL reasons.  They are close to being resolved, but
to be quite honest, all the people pretending they are political and not
legal are GETTING IN THE WAY of fixing the problem.

The software required Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.