Re: Free Download End User License Agreement

On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 03:39:54PM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On Dec 02, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> > > It seems to me, then, that we need a debian-legal-private list.  I
> > > dunno how we'd handle subscription, etc., since obviously not all
> > > developers are interested in -legal issues.
> > >
> > > Then we can invite selected people from VA (if you want to call their
> > > disc with O'Reilly a separate distro), Corel, Stormix, whoever in to
> > > discuss these things, without creating slashdot headlines.
> >
> > You are closing development. I understand the need of a few
> > registered-maintainers-only lists, but such
> > Council-Of-Big-And-Important-Persons is completely against the
> > spirit of free software.
> > The next step will be making a corporation and monopolize GNU/Linux.
>
> 1: This list has nothing to do with development; it deals with
> licensing issues of third-party software that we wish to incorporate
> into Debian.  As such, it's not closing development.
>
> 2: The "Council of Big and Important Persons" would actually be more
> inclusive than a registered maintainers only list, because people
> proposing licenses, who are not Debian developers, would be allowed to
> participate as well as existing developers.
>
> It seems to me that such a list is a way to have a more inclusive
> review of licenses than simply having people email (say) Bruce or ESR
> privately, which is what happens now.  Not that Bruce doesn't do a
> good job, but I think we (the free software community) need more pairs
> of eyes so he doesn't get fed up with doing the job.  And it lets
> people like Corel or the KDE group float trial balloons that won't get
> posted to Slashdot.
>
> As for your "next step", there's no way to monopolize GNU/Linux,
> because there are virtually zero barriers to entry in the Linux
> business.

And they should stay zero !
But what you are doing in such list will not be some software project
This will be licencing list, and whoever knows if some of your
ideas there wont higher this barrier.

There are two problems I see :
- many people helping develop debian arent official maintainers
  either because they cant join now, work for competitors or
  cant join due to some technical problems. Someone will have
  to sort them, and this is bad
- DO NOT FORWARD TO SLASHDOT disclaimer to every such mail
  is simplier and whoever voids this line should get a mail
  that he made a very wrong thing and shouldnt do it in future
  If someone will still do it he have cortainly some good reasons
  for it.