Re: Free Download End User License Agreement

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 12:20:34AM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> From: Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>
> > In other words, what you said originally is probably wrong:
> I'm not communicating my point clearly.
> What I wanted to say was that they should be _consistent_ in their application
> of the legal-minor issue. If they want to restrict distribution to over-18,

Sure, I agree with this.

> IMO they don't need quite so much CYA language in their license and thus the
> legal minor issue is irrelevant. Many other companies their size or larger do
> without quite so much CYA, including Canadian companies that contribute to
> Debian.

Yeah.

> > I have to wonder, though, if it wouldn't be in everyone's best interest
> > if we encouraged Corel and anyone else who plans on make a Debian derived
> > distribution to subscribe one or two of their lawyers to -legal, and
> > run things by us.
> I think they are listening but they don't want to talk.

Which is pretty unfortunate, considering they've got lots of clues that
we're probably missing out on.

> They seem to be put off by liability issues, etc.

And no doubt the risk of having their idle comments paraded about on
slashdot isn't exactly an incentive.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds