Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 01:28:52PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > You may have a point. If you have to click something that says you
> > are 18 _before_ you download the GPL part, that's probably part of a
> > contaminating license.
>
> No, they are just selecting who *they* want to distribute the software
> to. You don't have to agree to not giving the copy you downloaded to
> a minor.
>
> There's no general rule of "if you distribute to anyone you must
> distribute to everyone". (Personally I'd call such a rule non-free, too).

As I read it (possibly incorrectly, I guess I'll wait for RIchard's lawyer
on that one) your use of the entire dist is conditionally based upon your
acceptance and following of the license.  In fact, it explicitly tells you
that you're not downloading a COPY of the software, but rather a LICENSE
to access a copy as they allow.  That in and of itself is an attempt to
circumvent the Fair Use provision of Copyright law and is offensive.

As I've already said, I believe it's also a GPL violation, but we'll see.

--
- Joseph Carter         GnuPG public key:   1024D/DCF9DAB3, 2048g/3F9C2A43
- knghtbrd@debian.org   20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3