Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 04:33:58AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 02:21:08AM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> If there is _ANY_ EULA that you must agree to before you can have the GPL
> code it's forcing you to agree to their proprietary software terms.

This is just plain wrong.

If you want to download something from their site, you have to do what
they tell you to. They're not adding restrictions on what you can do with
the GPLed software, they're just ensuring they don't give the software to
some people, and giving you every opportunity to be aware of the terms
you're getting the software.

The only difference between this and `you must pay us $5 before you get
a CD' is that it's more explicit.

Cheers,
aj, who's getting a little sick of this anti-Corel FUD.

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds