Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 02:21:08AM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> > 9. License Must Not Contaminate Other Software
> You may have a point. If you have to click something that says you
> are 18 _before_ you download the GPL part, that's probably part of a
> contaminating license. But please note that my original criticism never
> even got to whether or not it was Open Source, I was considering whether
> or not other software licenses in the distribution were being violated.

If there is _ANY_ EULA that you must agree to before you can have the GPL
code it's forcing you to agree to their proprietary software terms.
Having to be 18 has nothing to do with it (other than that it's a
particular term of this particular EULA..)

> Note that the conflict-of-interest alert I previously sent applies to this
> message. And I feel like appending "this isn't for slashdot" to everything
> I write here.

Heh.  If someone wants it on slashdot, it'll get there no matter what you

- Joseph Carter         GnuPG public key:   1024D/DCF9DAB3, 2048g/3F9C2A43
- knghtbrd@debian.org   20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3
* m2 stares at the monitor... it looks like a hamburger...
<Knghtbrd> m2 - that's a bad sign