Re: is kde and kde app source debian-legally distributable?

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> wrote:
> I -REALLY- want Troll Tech to make the current Qt fit under the QPL,
> REALLY. Then this thread could die finally!

Well, only in the sense that the current QPL draft from Troll is
equivalent to the BSD license.  For this thread to die Qt and KDE must
have compatible licenses -- that's not something that's likely to happen
soon [or, at least, KDE has resisted changing their license for years --
and for a rather significant reason: there are about half a dozen major
packages where KDE doesn't have any legal right to change the license.]

However, it's probably true that if Troll uses an Open Source license
that KDE can talk at least some of the authors of these packages into
a license change which is compatable with Qt.

If all this happens, then yes: this thread would die.

--
Raul, wishing KDE had addressed this years ago