Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card : the end

At last, I know why WPA connexion trials never succeeded on my laptop. Indeed, I have been able to figure what was the firmware STA version of my prism2 card, it shows with 'dmesg':

wifi0 STA id 0x1f v1.4.9

while the author of the Hostap software says that STA firmware version needs to be 1.7.0 or newer to work in WPA mode.

So, that's it ! Right after that, I have changed the settings in my DSL box so as to have WEP encryption mode, I removed WPA supplicant from my system, and then my pcmcia wireless card started to behave. With only 7 lines in /etc/network/interfaces :

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-mode Managed
wireless-essid Livebox-46db
wireless-key 77......

and this is it !

Connexion to the Internet is almost instant, speed is the same as with a wire connexion to the DSL box. Having that box set to wep encryption mode does not please me that much, but I think that I will keep it that way for awhile. I am not prepared to spend any more time searching for another suitable wifi pcmcia card and fiddling around for hours and days, especially since I have some more questions concerning my Thinkpad 600.

I will start another thread with this, but in a few words :

the laptops interrupts (is this the right word ?), which used to work perfectly well under RedHat 7.2 (which I have had for about 6 years on that laptop) do not operate under Debian Etch. Nothing shuts down or goes to sleep when I close the lid, neither the video nor the hard disk (I can hear its noise) ; I am not sure whether the fan works or not ; nothing goes to sleep after a while even when the system is powered on battery... if I press Fn+F4 on the keyboard (sleep icon), the system indeed goes to sleep, but then there is no way to awaken it afterwards... and a CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing, same if pressing the off switch... the only way to get out of this is to unplug AC power AND remove battery for a few seconds, then put it back and start again. I now have to shutdown this laptop everyday, even several times a day, while, when it ran under RedHat 7.2, I practically never shut it down, just closed the lid.

Do you think that I could post here a copy of my last /var/log/messages (about 300 lines), or maybe I should give an url where to find it... well, this is it, here is the link :

http://www.teaser.fr/~bdebreil/log_messages

A few things bother me in this file. Fans and sleep modes as just mentioned, and this too:

localhost kernel pcmcia: detected deprecated PCMCIA ioctl usage for process: discover localhost kernel pcmcia : this interface will soon be removed from the kernel. Please expect breakage unless you upgrade to new tools

Oh, by the way, I just remembered something. By the time when I tried to install Debian Sarge on that laptop (I now have Etch), there was something in the logfile about fans and sleep modes, I can barely remember what it exactly was... something like this : "XXX (sleep fans etc) enabled, XXX (sleep fans etc) disabled : BIOS too old"... but I see no such messages with Etch, it simply does not work, same as with Sarge.