Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:10:56 +0530
"justin joseph" <justinjoseph007@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem with sound on 600E is I understand a Historical one.  I
> owned the 600E for sometime and had faced this problem.
> I remember that the problem is the fact that though the 600E sound
> chip is of a particular make, it is detected as something else.
>
> I remember solving it by uninstalling discover and a combination of
> blacklisting and modprobing the right drivers(not sure though)
> Its been years since I parted with the 600E.
>
> thinkwiki describes this problem:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_broken_sound_on_ThinkPad_600
>
> And am sure there would a a lot and lot of google hits for the same,
> because like I mentioned it is a very well known problem.

Indeed, there is an awful lot of advice out there about how to get the
600 / 600e's sound working, and everyone's advice seems to be a little
different. I burnt off three more hours this eve trying the above
thinkwiki suggestions for my 600e, plus various other ALSA module
blacklist / modprobe voodoo, all to no avail. Another machine that does
not work with ALSA....

Actually, the root problem is probably deeper then ALSA (IRQ conflict?)
as in its current state, not even USB audio works for me. USB audio has
*always* worked on my other machines, without exception.

Clayton