Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 09:29:08PM +0800, Clayton wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:15:14 +0100
> Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:

> All good advice, but.... to add some bad news, support for older
> hardware sometimes seems to be going more then it is coming lately. I
> also have a Thinkpad 600e, as well as, for the record, a Pentium III
> Thinkpad a21m. Both have the misfortune to have sound cards that the
> Debian project has declared "evil" and blacklisted, apparently because
> of non-open firmware issues. The snd_cs46xx driver has been booted out

I have a 600E and had no end of trouble with the sound card.  I posted
questions to this list a long time ago and the one suggestion that
worked was to compile a kernel without the cs46xx driver.

It appears that the kernel insisted on loading this in preference to
other drivers and the sound hardware didn't work, even when I
blacklisted it and forcefully inserted the proper one.  I presume that
by that time the resources had been marked as used, or initialized in
some way that made them unusable.

> of the kernel [3a], and both of these machines are now without sound (I
> am guessing if I rolled my own kernel.org kernel, it would work, but I
> have not tried):

Since I had that issue, I compiled a debian kernel (2.6.18), the debian
way with the debian tools, without the cs46xx driver, but with the cs4231
driver.  The sound card works just fine.

> Thinkpad 600e:
> 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11
> [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

That's the exact one I have.

> Thinkpad a21m
> 00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30
> [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

I wouldn't be surprised if the same driver (cs4231) would work on this
machine.  Maybe at least a subset of features?

> To add to the mayhem, I also have a Pentium III Thinkpad i1300, and the

Can't offer any specific help about the other problems...

A.