Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

A. F. Cano wrote:
> I have a 600E and had no end of trouble with the sound card.  I posted
> questions to this list a long time ago and the one suggestion that
> worked was to compile a kernel without the cs46xx driver.
>
> It appears that the kernel insisted on loading this in preference to
> other drivers and the sound hardware didn't work, even when I
> blacklisted it and forcefully inserted the proper one.  I presume that
> by that time the resources had been marked as used, or initialized in
> some way that made them unusable.

One option that has worked for me in other similar but different
situations is to move/remove the module from the filesystem.  With it
gone from the disk the kernel couldn't load it.  That worked for me
without needing to recompile the kernel without the module.

Bob