Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:15:14 +0100
Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 00:44 +0100, Bernard wrote:
> >
> > router in client mode 'FON2200' (the so called Fonera), I installed
> > Debian Sarge instead of RedHat 7.2.
>
> Keep in mind that Debian Sarge was discontinued since March 2008 [1].
> From your point of view, this mainly means that it has no security
> update.
> Debian Sarge[2a], Etch[2b] and Lenny[2c] seems to have the same RAM
> requirements. You might want to install XFCE desktop rather that the
> default desktop (gnome) as explained in [2c].

All good advice, but.... to add some bad news, support for older
hardware sometimes seems to be going more then it is coming lately. I
also have a Thinkpad 600e, as well as, for the record, a Pentium III
Thinkpad a21m. Both have the misfortune to have sound cards that the
Debian project has declared "evil" and blacklisted, apparently because
of non-open firmware issues. The snd_cs46xx driver has been booted out
of the kernel [3a], and both of these machines are now without sound (I
am guessing if I rolled my own kernel.org kernel, it would work, but I
have not tried):

Thinkpad 600e:
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11
[CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

Thinkpad a21m
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30
[CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

To add to the mayhem, I also have a Pentium III Thinkpad i1300, and the
current Debian kernel linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 panics on boot, every
time[3b]. Hopefully this will go away soon, meanwhile I use older
kernels, but.... This same Thinkpad i1300 had Xorg stop working more
then a year ago[3c]. I have not actually tried (it is currently doing
duty as a server) but if I wanted it fully functional, I would probably
have to downgrade to at least Etch.

Perhaps this is not a trend and I am just extraordinarily unlucky....

So  I would also advise the original poster to upgrade to Lenny, just
be aware that you may have to run an older kernel, or build your own
kernel.org kernel, if you want the on-board sound card to work.
Personally, I just use USB sound.

Clayton

[3a] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=462035
[3b] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=501118