Re: issues with HP dv5000 laptop

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:25:38PM EST, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[..]

I do realize that the above is likely offered more as a workaround than
a solution, but ..

. The same font at the same pointsize looks considerably better on a
  600dpi printer than on a 60dpi, 6dpi, .6dpi printer etc.

  Agreed?

  So why should Xorg be any different than printers..  why should I have
  to trick him into thinking I'm using a display with a lower
  resolution than what I paid for?

. Incidentally, I once tried both the DisplaySize and -dpi nnn tricks
  and neither made any difference as far as xdpyinfo is concerned .. it
  still said I was getting l00dpi no matter what.  I manually measured my
  resolution and it's 116dpi .. how Xorg figures it's 100dpi is anyone's
  guess.  I'm running debian "etch" and Xorg 7.1.1, revision 0.

Cheers,
cga.