issues with HP dv5000 laptop

I have installed Debian (and Ubuntu) on this laptop several times and I am stumped. If I use Debian 4.0r2 (currently "stable") I don't have any problems with the font size in gdm, but if I directly install "testing" from a netinst cd or do a dist-upgrade the fonts are gigantic.

Imagine the circles that obscure your password while logging into your session in gdm being about the size of ping pong balls. then when Gnome initially starts the upper and lower bars are about a third of the screen apiece. After a moment they will go to a normal size, but any font in gdm and its' associated menu entry will be super-sized. This makes it very difficult to change sessions.

This problem also affected me when I was using Ubuntu based Geubuntu on this same computer. I had thought that it was an issue with Ubuntu, but now see that it might be something else (Gnome I would imagine).

With the Ubuntu based systems I added and tried gdm, kdm, and xdm. Of them only xdm presented the font in a manner that was normal (although it was not overly attractive).

I also had used b43-fwcutter while in the Ubuntu based distros and got the internal wireless working. Currently on pure Debian I haven't been able to get the internal wireless working (yet) and the pcmcia wireless card will show wireless networks, but hasn't connected to any as yet (will look into that in a bit).

I am installing linux on this machine for a friend and any information would be appreciated. This is an HP Pavillion DV5000 with the Intel Centrino processor.

Thanks folks,
Preston

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/