cannot load toshiba.ko (was Re: Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop)

Below the old message.

Now I'm trying to load the toshiba modules.
What happen is that the module exists but modprobe says that it not exists.
The modprobe and ls output:

msb01:/usr/src# modprobe toshiba
FATAL: Error inserting toshiba
(/lib/modules/2.6.22-2-686/kernel/drivers/char/toshiba.ko): No such device
msb01:/usr/src# ls -l
/lib/modules/2.6.22-2-686/kernel/drivers/char/|grep tos
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  8935 2007-08-31 05:39 toshiba.ko

What can I do?

Thanks
    Mirto

[...snip...]

>> That's interesting.  "apt-cache show toshset" says it doesn't rely on
>> kernel support.
>>

> Your comment pointed me in a new crazy way.
> In the link http://www.flurble.org/computers/toshset.pl I read:
> =====================
>
> There are two modules for Toshiba laptop support in recent linux kernels.
>
>     * *toshiba*, found at
>           o Processor type and features -> Toshiba laptop sopport,
>           o CONFIG_TOSHIBA,
>           o drivers/char/toshiba
>     * *toshiba_acpi*, found at
>           o Power management -> ACPI -> Toshiba laptop extras,
>           o CONFIG_TOSHIBA_ACPI,
>           o drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi
>
> If you load *toshiba*, and run toshset ...
>
>  $ sudo toshset -q
>  machine id: 0xfcff    BIOS version: 1.40    SCI version: 7.148
>  toshset version: 1.71                  Toshiba Model: Portege M100/M300 Tecra M2/A2/A3
>  HCI/SCI access mode: kernel
> * toshset: this computer is not supported*
>
> =====================
>
> On my machine I read:
> msb01:~# toshset -q
> required kernel toshiba support not enabled.
>
> So I had to setup the environment to compile a kernel gettin the sources
> from the debian package linux-source-2.6.22.tar.bz2
> But inspecting the .config I see that are already enabled:
>
> Toshiba Laptop support (TOSHIBA)
>
> This adds a driver to safely access the System Management Mode of
> the CPU on Toshiba portables with a genuine Toshiba BIOS. It does
> not work on models with a Phoenix BIOS. The System Management Mode
> is used to set the BIOS and power saving options on Toshiba portables.
>
> and
>
> Toshiba Laptop Extras (ACPI_TOSHIBA)
>
> This driver adds support for access to certain system settings
> on "legacy free" Toshiba laptops. These laptops can be recognized by
> their lack of a BIOS setup menu and APM support.
>
> So recompiling kernel in not an option: toshiba support in the kernel is
> already enabled.
>
> I think that the toshset doesn't relay on kernel because the stock
> kernel has already tohiba support enabled.
>
> But now I'm completely lost.
> I'm using debian on this machine since when etch was the testing version
> and I never had thermal problems.
>
> It is only from this summer that I started to have thermal problems. I
> thinked that the weather was too hot; but now the weather is cold and I
> still have thermal problems.
>
> On my Satellite P20 there is no fan control in BIOS and I'm not able to
> use toshset to force the fan on.
>
> What can I do?
>

> Thanks
>     Mirto