Lenny: not able to control fan and hd spin on Toschiba laptop

Hi all,

my laptop sometimes shut down abruptely.
It seems that it is a thermal problem.

I can hear the fan spinning when there is a lot of cpu activity; but
when there is a disk activity the fan remain silent.

Ushing "hddtemp /dev/hda" I see that the temperature is about 40 celsius
when the system shut up.

lm-sensors seems not to give good informations

the "sensors" command says:
No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.

Trying "sensors-detect" there is the response:
Sorry, no sensors were detected.
Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an
I2C or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See doc/FAQ,

In another place I foud the recommendation that the kernel should be
compiled with CONFIG_ACPI and CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA flags.

There is any method to control the fan or at least to force the fan to
maximum speed?

Thanks
    Mirto

Mirto Silvio Busico 		ICT Consultant