Re: Thanks, Re: Is it possible: Built-in Intel Wireless iwp2200 on Sarge 2.4 (Thinkpad R50e)

Frans Pop wrote:
On Thursday 20 April 2006 15:06, Bakki Kudva wrote:
A tangential question. I have done netinstalls for all of my machines
which are running Sarge stable. I'd like to run unstable for desktop
as you do. The question is, since there is no netinstall cd for
unstable do you do an install from the stable netinstall and then do a
dist-upgrade? This seems like a round about way and when I did try a
dist-upgrade on my laptop it borked.

Best is to either:
- use an Etch _netinst_ installation CD and then dist-upgrade, or
- use an Etch _businesscard_ CD, boot that in expert mode and select
  unstable after selecting a mirror.

Both are available from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer.
just one more tip.

First use net installer , do not install xservers or anything, there will appear a ncurses dialog box, asking for what you want to install, do not select anything.

Then, when the "default system " is installed, change sources to testing, do update && dist-upgrade; After change sources again to updgrade to unstable, now you have the system on unstable version without updating a lot of big packages like desktop environments or xservers or anything (time is money :D).

Now use apt super cow powers to install everything you need.