Re: Thanks, Re: Is it possible: Built-in Intel Wireless iwp2200 on Sarge 2.4 (Thinkpad R50e)

Yes, you can upgrade your kernel very easily in Debian. You can either use
apt-get or you can use something like synaptic which is basically a gui for
apt-get.

'apt-cache search linux image'

This will show you a list of packages that match linux and image, 2.6.16-1 is
current in unstable. I'm not sure what you are running, but usually for a
desktop system I run unstable.

Once you find the package you want you just install it with apt-get

'apt-get install package'

That will give you a list of packages to be installed. removed, and upgraded.
It will ask you to confirm if there are more than just the one package that
will be installed/uninstalled.

Then you should just have to reboot to use the new kernel and thats about it.
I don't know your current setup so I can't say for sure that everything will
work right away. New kernel's mean new modules, but Debian is pretty good
about using hotplug and udev to pick up your devices.

If you run into any snags let us know...

--
Greg Ryman
Network Engineering Supervisor