Re: USB hotplug device permissions

| Did you add the user to group 'camera'?

Thanks. That's it.

My fresh installed user seems to belong to (besides others) 'video' and
'audio',  and i couldn't imagine much more necessary, i really didn't
expect this   problem to be caused by installation default...

| I'll file a bug report to add a README.Debian with this info.

Thanks again, someone should do that.

Well, i understand that granting device permissions to anybody may be a
security or privacy risk. However, everybody who has physical access
and is able to login, authentificating  by the configured mechanism
(like PAM), should basically be able to download pictures from a camera,
no ? It should be possible to detect physical access and adjust the
defaults ...  i'm not really sure here, but it should be possible for
example to distuingish a phyiscally connected keyboard or mouse
from remote network access (that is, probably by hardware port) ?
And if it's too difficult then installation scripts should ask the
responsible admin (superuser) for the default group set; and also
installing gphoto2 could easily show you who's already in 'camera'
and who not, and let you correct things.
Something like that ;)

Greets,

 Maren