USB hotplug device permissions

I notice installing gphoto2 doesn't permit a user to
download images from a camera. This is Sid (unstable).

'gphoto2 -P' is able to identify the cam only as root.
Whn issued as user, i got a log of identification negatives
but no information about which file or kernel
device can't be read (so i spare the log here).

I don't see any 'hotplug' binary here, and package 'hotplug'
seems to be obsolete now (conflicting with udev.)
So i assume anything necessary will be done by udev.

I also installed usbmount, for memory sticks, but this cam
apparently can't be mounted at all (a cheap MD9700, the
shipped driver isn't even working for WinXP.). A pity.

I don't run the gnome environment by now, i just tried it
from a shell commandline. So there's no 'hal' yet.
But i firmly believe it should work without that.

What do i miss ?